by Robert Washburn
The cancellation of a school repair program by the Ontario government will not impact any current projects, the chair of the public school board said Wednesday.
Diane Lloyd, the chairperson of the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board, said four projects slated for this year were already contracted out before the July 3 deadline. Therefore, they will go ahead as planned.
“We are okay because we got our contracts out before the deadline,” she said. “Other school board may not be so lucky.”
The projects were slated for the education centre in Peterborough, Courtice Secondary School, Campbellford District High School and Bowmanville High School.
The new Tory government abruptly ended at $100-million fund earmarked for school upgrades. The Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund was aimed at updating roofs, windows, heating system and other items which could improve the energy efficiency of a building.
Lloyd said the cuts did not affect the $20-million repair reserve used for fixing the usual items that break down or need attention over a school year. The board spent $8 million last year doing these kinds of repairs.
Northumberland Peterborough South MPP David Piccini said Wednesday the slashing of the fund was part of the government’s platform during the election when they talked about finding efficiencies.
“I am not aware of any urgent needs in any schools for repairs,” he said.
Piccini said he would be meeting with parents to determine priorities for schools in the future.